Tuesday, February 10, 2009
“Hold on to instruction, do not let it go; guard it well, for it is your life. Do not set foot on the path of the wicked or walk in the way of evil men. Avoid it! Do not travel on it; turn away from it and go on your way. For they cannot sleep till they do evil; they are robbed of sleep till they make someone fall.”
Dear Thoene friend,
We have discovered that deep discount Christian books are being used as bait to obtain your credit card information.
Here is how it works:
1. On places like Amazon and Google, Christian books by top authors are advertised and sold through links at prices too good to be true. Francine Rivers, Karen Kingsbury and many others are on the bait list, along with our books.
2. If you bite the hook and buy a Christian book, your credit card information and security information is obtained.
3. Unless you read ALL the fine print you have unknowingly signed up for a “DISCOUNT” club which charges your card an on-going, whopping-big, $29.99 per month for so-called “DISCOUNTS.”
4. This on-going charge of $29.99 is almost impossible to turn off.
5. These online scam companies are often operated from outside the U.S.
6. Your credit card and security info is now OUT THERE!
Brock and I tried this out, purchasing some of our own books from a “discount book” Amazon link below printing cost. The scam IS REAL! We were suddenly enrolled in a “Smart-Savers” scheme which would have taken $29.99 from our credit card EVERY month.
We turned it off within minutes BUT only by calling our credit card company, telling them what happened, and canceling our credit card.
When we asked our publisher about what could be done to stop this predatory use of our Christian books to cheat people, we were told “It may be unethical, but it is not illegal.”
What does the Lord say?
"The Lord abhors dishonest scales, but accurate weights are His delight." Proverbs 11:1
Dear Christian readers, (and audio book listeners), BE CAREFUL! If a price looks too good to be true, BE CERTAIN - it really IS too good to be true!
These are suggestions of where you can safely purchase our Christian books and audiobooks:
1. The best place to shop will always be in person, supporting the ministry of your local Christian bookstore. (How many Christian bookstores have been put out of business by the greed of Amazon?!)
2. For great deals and the ONLY completely safe place you can buy authentic, personally autographed Thoene books, Thoene gift cards, and Thoene audio books, shop online at www.FamilyAudioLibrary.com (50% of FamilyAudioLibrary.com profits provide free Christian literature to prisoners and military personnel through the non-profit Shiloh Light Foundation)
3. For all other online Christian book purchases we suggest established Christian online companies you can trust: www.Parable.com
Please BE CAREFUL when buying any Christian book from any secular online sources. (We were shocked that this “discount” link was an Amazon link and is on other secular book sites as well.)
Please pass this information to every Christian reader and audiobook listener you know. In these difficult financial times, it is important that you not become a victim of a financial scam which uses Christian books and audios as bait.
God Bless you!
Brock and Bodie Thoene
“The path of the righteous is like the first gleam of dawn…” Proverbs 4:18
From their website ... I just thought I would post a warning since I know there are a lot of readers out there ...